Based on the novel of the same name, the show tells the story of the estranged Bordelon siblings in Louisiana. At the center of the family are Nova, a queer journalist and activist; Charley, the wife and manager of an NBA player; and formerly incarcerated father Ralph Angel, who is searching for redemption.
Following their father’s death, the siblings must put their complicated lives aside so they can come together to save the family’s struggling sugar cane farm. Also involved in the farm are Aunt Violet and family friend Remy Newell.
The show was created, directed and executive produced by Ava DuVernay, with Oprah Winfrey serving as an executive producer, and has the best representation of PoC queers on traditional television today.
Queer Plotline Timeline
5 Episodes into the first season we find out Nova is bisexual. In the next episode Nova meets Chantal, a Black Lives Matter activist and they start dating for a few episodes.
In season 4, after Nova’s book comes out, she runs into Chantal and a former professor she had an affair with named Octavia. Octavia re-inserts herself into Nova’s life for the rest of the book tour.
Notable Queer-Centric Episodes
- Season 1 Episode 5 "By Any Chance" - We find out Nova is bisexual when Charlie and Aunt Vi are trying to get Nova to fess up about who she is seeing. Charlie asks if it's a boy or a girl and Vi says "Lord, I thought that was a college phase."Nova replies "it's what's within. Not the package."
- Season 1 Episode 6 "As Promised" - Nova meets Chantal, a Black Lives Matter activist, then they are both guests on a local talk radio show.
- Season 1 Episode 7 "In No Uncertain Terms" - Nova and Chantal start dating.
- Season 1 Episode 10 “So Far” - Nova and Chantal break up over political disagreements.
- Season 4 Episode 5 “Face Speckled” - After Nova's book comes out, she runs into Chantal and a former professor she had an affair with named Octavia.