Happy New Year’s Eve, everyone!
Today is one of my favorite holidays. I love reflecting on the past year and looking forward to the next. This year, the LezWatchTV staff put together our 2020 Queer TV Predictions and revisited our 2019 predictions to how well we did .
- Mika Epstein, Co-Founder / Co-Editor in Chief
Mika’s 2019 Predictions
Mika’s 2019 Prediction Commentary
2019 was a jumbled year for queer TV. Queer deaths were down (I’m so glad to have been wrong!) and new shows with queers were up and making bigger risks. We got the first-ever bisexual actor leading a show about a bisexual character! However, the retention of those shows continued the downward trend since 2007. We may be getting a queer character in one out of every five shows, but we’re not keeping those shows around for more than a full season if that (RIP Abby’s). Also, I don’t think anyone’s happy about Alex’s love interest. Can I take that back?-Mika
Mika’s 2020 Queer TV Predictions
- Ariela Barer will be back on One Day at a Time and be Elena’s college roommate
- Mainstream/linear TV will add more regular queer characters to shows
- More trans actors will play cis characters
- Charmed will fix season 2
- Tracy Levesque, Co-Founder / Co-Editor in Chief
Tracy’s 2019 Predictions
Tracy’s 2019 Prediction Commentary
I did pretty good, right? I almost got them all. Neko did come back on Charmed, but they reinvented season two (for the worse IMO) and got rid of Neko. This was one of my biggest disappointments of 2019.
Tracy’s 2020 Queer TV Predictions
- We’ll see one or more original L Word characters make appearances on The L Word: Generation Q.
- Sara and Ava will have some kind of major relationship-leveling up event (moving in together, marriage or please not a baby) on Legends of Tomorrow.
- The rest of Crisis on Infinite Earths will continue to disappoint us with very little queer content.
- We won’t get any bad-ass Thundergrace using powers together scenes on Black Lightning this season.
- Cazzie will go through ups and downs on Atypical season 4, but they will remain together and happy overall (I know the show hasn’t gotten renewed yet — this is wishful predicting).
- Nikki T, Staff Writer
Nikki’s 2019 Predictions
Nikki’s 2019 Prediction Commentary
1 out of 4 isn’t bad. We were robbed of our WayHaught wedding this year but I do believe we will get it in 2020. Let’s hope ThunderGrace gets to fight together next year, too!-Nikki
Nikki’s 2020 Queer TV Predictions
- Charlie on Legends of Tomorrow will identify as queer
- On Vida, Emma will mess up her relationship with Nico and will break all our hearts in the process
- We will get a queer Star Wars TV character
- The WayHaught wedding will be better and gayer than it would have been in 2019
My IRL Hopes for 2020
One thing I would love to see in 2020 is for the LezWatchTV community to grow! 2 new editors joined our team – Melanie Aswell and Carmel. I am so grateful for the work they have done to grow our database. Also, our Slack community continues to become more active with queer TV fans. I love the friendly and supportive world we’ve created for wlw TV fans to chat in real-time. Especially during live-TV watching. Join us!