All My Children aired on ABC for 41 years, from January 5, 1970, to September 23, 2011. It was a typical good-terrible daytime soap opera and starred the legendary Erica Kane played by Susan Lucci.
Since Erica Kane is one of the most famous soap opera characters of all time, it was groundbreaking when her daughter Bianca Montgomery came out to her as a lesbian December 2000. In true soap opera form it took a zillion episodes to get to that point.
From then on Bianca had a bunch of different relationships (each with loyal fandoms), babies, a terrible rape plot line, a brief relationship with a transgender lesbian rock star, a gay wedding, a gay divorce, a gay remarriage and a dead girlfriend.
Queer Plotline Timeline
The Eden Riegel version of Bianca returns to Pine Valley (the fictitious Philly Suburban town the show takes place in) in July 2000 and comes out to her mom, Erica Kane, in December 2000. In 2010 Bianca is played by Christina Bennett Lind until the end of the Network version of the show. In 2013 AMC briefly tried airing web-only episodes on Hulu with Eden Riegel back as Bianca, but it was pretty bad and stopped soon after.
Notable Queer-Centric Episodes
- Christmas Eve 2000 – Bianca comes out to her mom, Erica Kane.
- April 22, 2003 – Daytime TV’s first ever lesbian kiss with Bianca and Lena, Airport terminal style.
- 2004 – Maggie kisses Bianca for the first time
- February 13, 2009 – Bianca and Reese’s big gay wedding
- July 12, 2010 – Marissa kisses Bianca for the first time