Putting together a magazine is not an easy task, requiring a lot of teamwork to finish the job and get the publication on newsstand shelves. That’s why the staffers responsible for producing global women’s magazine Scarlet lean on one another as they try to find their own voices. While working together to publish each issue of the periodical, they struggle to find their identities, manage friendships and find love. The drama series is inspired by the life of longtime magazine editor and executive Joanna Coles, who serves as an executive producer.
That sounds super dry, but the reality is this show is funny, sassy, smart, and, yes, bold. The three young leads support each other and help each other through … everything. Even a yoni egg stuck up a vagina. Just to watch a show about women who are really friends is a relief. Plus they had a coming out drama without the drama, except for the issues Kat would have had with anyone.
Queer Plotline Timeline
In the first episode, Kat finds herself strangely attracted to a woman. Who happens to have a girlfriend. After some fits and starts, they finally figure it out. Of course, Adena’s immigrant status causes her to be denied access to the US, resulting in more drama. By the end of the first season, Kat has stepped up and gone to meet Adena in Peru.
Their relationship gets a little rocky in season 2, ending in a breakup, but by season 3 they’re back on a bit. This doesn’t last, and by the end of season 4, Kat has lost her job and hooked up with a Log Cabin Republican who happens to be on the board of Stafford.
Notable Queer-Centric Episodes
- 1×10 “Pilot” – Kat meets Adena and is confused by her attraction.
- 1×02 “O Hell No” – Kat decides to tell Adena she’s maybe into her, but Adena appears to have someone.
- 1×04 “If You Can’t Do It With Feeling” – Kat punches out a racist for Adena and confesses her feelings. Adena responds with a kiss.
- 1×05 “No Feminism in the Champagne Room” – Adena goes to Paris to reconcile with her girlfriend.
- 1×08 “The End of the Beginning” – Adena wants to come back to NYC for Kat because the reconciliation doesn’t work.
- 1×09 “Before Tequila Sunrise” – Adena and Kat have sex, but Kat is too scared to leave the US.
- 1×10 “Carry the Weight” – Kat meets up with Adena in Peru.
- 2×10 “We’ll Always Have Paris” – Kat and Adena break up.
- 3×08 “Revival” – Adena comes back to New York with her new/old girlfriend, Coco.
- 4×14 “The Truth Will Set You Free” – Kat hooks up with Ava, a right wing lesbian who is everything Kat hates.
- 4×16 “Not Far From the Tree” – Kat dumps Ava by text.
There are 19 queer characters listed for this show; none are dead.