Glee was about kids in Lima, Ohio who were in a show tunes choir. Then it was about other things, like making it big on Broadway. Then it wasn’t. And then it was over. To be honest, I watched the show for Kurt Hummell, because his actor is an amazing singer and I adore him. The fact that there were lesbian cheerleaders bothered me because they were always treated as second class.
The weird thing is, Glee is written by a gay man, so you’d think there would be some parity with the lady loving, but not really. Creator Ryan Murphy gets called out a lot for treating lesbians as the butt of jokes, rather than an actual part of the gay community. It’s not wrong when one looks at Glee.
For all they put out promo pictures of Brittany and Santana being adorable, we didn’t get kissing until season three, and pretty much they were shoved to the side for the boys and the straights. But there’s also a whole section of the world devoted to the idea that Quinn was gay and in love with Rachel. In fact, go to FanFiction.net and look up that pairing. It’s crazy popular, and frankly pretty accurate.
It’s sad that Santana and Quinn are on Glee. Those characters could have been so much more in the hands of someone else.
Queer Plotline Timeline
In season one, we get hints they’re at least having sex, but they also sleep around with boys. Season two ramps things up with the outing of Santana, but we don’t get an on-screen kiss until season three. It’s just disappointing all the way through, though. While the lesbians end up together ever after, they’re clearly an afterthought.
Notable Queer-Centric Episodes
- Season 1, Episode 13 “Sectionals” – Santana says, “Sex is not dating,” and Brittany then adds, “If it were, Santana and I would be dating.”
- Season 2, Episode 4 “Duets” – Brittany and Santana are caught kissing (off camera)
- Season 2, Episode 15 “Sexy” – Brittany and Santana admit they love each other as more than ‘just friends’
- Season 3, Episode 4 “Pot ‘o Gold” – Brittany and Santana officially are in a relationship
- Season 3, Episode 6 “Mash Off” – Santana is outed
- Season 3, Episode 5 “I Kissed a Girl” – The Glee Club supports lesbians
- Season 3, Episode 13 “Heart” – Brittany and Santana kiss on camera
- Season 4, Episode 4 “The Break Up” – Brittany and Santana break up because Santana’s in college and Brittany isn’t and the LDR isn’t working
- Season 4, Episode 14 “I Do” – Quinn and Santana join both ends of the bitch/goddess spectrum and have sex
- Season 4, Episode 22 “All or Nothing” – Blaine meets Jan and Liz, who have been together since they were 18. Jan proposes. Liz accepts.
- Season 5, Episode 2 “Tina in the Sky with Diamonds” – Santana flirts awkwardly with out lesbian, Dani
- Season 5, Episode 12 “100” – Brittany and Santana kiss again but don’t really get back together
- Season 5, Episode 13 “New Directions” – Brittany and Santana get back together and run off to vacation in Lesbos.