At 12 years old, Kara Zor-El escaped doom on planet Krypton to find protection on Earth.
Sent to protect her baby cousin, Kal-El (aka Superman), her escape pod was diverted off course and when she landed, he was all grown up and she was 12… Superman placed her with the Danvers family, where she grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex, and learned to hide the extraordinary powers she shares with her cousin.
As an adult living in National City and working for media mogul Cat Grant, Kara found her days of keeping her abilities a secret over when super-secret agency head Hank Henshaw enlisted her to help protect the city’s citizens from threats. Finally coming into her own, Kara juggled her new responsibilities with her very human relationships.
In season two, the show moved from CBS to the CW, and 3 episodes in, Alex meets out gay detective Maggie Sawyer and starts the best coming out story line in TV history.
Sadly, Maggie left the show in season three, and the couple broke up. Alex remained a lesbian, though, and while she was researching adoption, she found time to have a fling with Sara Lance, our favourite bisexual space captain. In the end, Alex fell in love with Kelly, Jimmy Olsen’s sister, and the two married and adopted a little alien girl.
Queer Plotline Timeline
The Alex/Maggie relationship starts the third episode of season two and continues until season three episode five when they break up.
Notable Queer-Centric Episodes
- Episode 203, "Welcome to Earth" - Alex meets National City Science Police detective Maggie Sawyer for the first time while investigating an attack on the president (Lynda Carter). They have a somewhat antagonistic first impression, but soon start working on cases together.
- Episode 208 - "Medusa" - Life is short and we should kiss the girls we want to kiss.
- Episode 222 - "Nevertheless, She Persisted" - Alex and Maggie get engaged.
- Episode 305 - "Damage" - Maggie and Alex break up over the whole 'kids' thing.
- Episode 308 - “Crisis on Earth X, Part 1” - Sara Lance and Alex have a one night stand at The Flash’s wedding.