We’re honestly shocked we haven’t checked off everything on the cliche list for this show.
The show was straight until someone noticed that Callie Torres (Sara Ramierez) had an insane amount of chemistry with Erica Hahn (Brooke Smith). The chemistry was so powerful that when Callie’s friend (and Derek’s ex wife and please don’t make me explain this one) Addison showed up, she asked how long they were going out. They weren’t. And then they were and Callie freaked about lesbian sex so McSteamy (Derek’s BFF and the manwhore who cheated on him with Addison and was now on a break from dating Derek’s new wife’s little sister — seriously, these are the cliff notes versions!) had to teach her lesbian lovin’ ways. It didn’t work, really. Erica was written out (blame ABC for that one folks).
There was a lot of queerbaiting and three-some jokes until we got around to Arizona Robbins (Jessica Capshaw), the lady lovin’ peads doctor, wheels into her life. Literally. Arizona has wheelie shoes. Love it! Except for the part where when they broke up, Callie slept with McSteamy and got knocked up, but Arizona came back and they got married and … look this is a damn soap opera alright?
Of course they’ve since divorced following the leg loss, cheating, and more drama. There’s this we can say about Greys and it’s that everyone has an unhappy ending. The main character has lost her mother, half-sister, and husband. Note to self: Avoid Seattle Grace Mercy West Grey/Sloane Memorial Hospital.
Queer Plotline Timeline
Season four we all noticed there was ‘something’ between Callie and Erica. The season ended with them making out. After Erica vanished we got Arizona. She and Callie have since married and divorced. Your mileage is pretty consistent on this show. Every relationship fails. Or ends in death.
Callie leaves the show with the kid and her new girlfriend, Penny, at the end of season 12 and Arizona goes on to have various relationships.
Notable Queer-Centric Episodes
- Season 4, Episode 14 “The Becoming” – Callie thinks Erica has the hots for her
- Season 4, Episode 15 “Losing My Mind” – Erica kisses Callie to prove that McSteamy wouldn’t last in a threesome with them
- Season 4, Episode 17 “Freedom” – Erica and Callie really kiss
- Season 5, Episode 7 “Rise Up” – Erica leaves Callie and the hospital, vanishing into a parking lot
- Season 5, Episode 11 “Good Mourning” – Arizona shows up and flirts
- Season 6, Episode 5 “Invasion” – Arizona is a good man in a storm and defends Callie to her father
- Season 7, Episode 7 “That’s Me Trying” – Arizona gets a grant to do work in Africa and Callie decides to go with her. At the airport, when they’re about to leave, Arizona tells Callie she wants to go alone and leaves her
- Season 7, Episode 10 “Adrift and at Peace” – Arizona leaves Africa and shows up at Callie’s front door
- Season 7, Episode 13 “Don’t Deceive Me (Please Don’t Go)” – Arizona and Callie get back together after Callie learns she’s pregnant with Mark Sloan’s baby. Yup that happened, this is a soap opera after all.
- Season 7, Episode 17 “This is How We Do It” – Arizona asks Callie to marry her while driving and then they immediately get hit by a truck.
- Season 7, Episode 18 “Song Beneath the Song” – A very special post-proposal car accident musical episode.
- Season 7, Episode 20 “White Wedding” – Queer women getting married